Friday 21 February 2014

Why we need to make RPS cheaper for those on low incomes (again)

I spoke to a woman today in Ashton Road who is unemployed and clearly desperate about residents parking.  She can't afford to heat her house. She told me she simply can't afford to pay it.

She said she needed a car to get a job, although if she had a job, she'd pay the fee like a shot (to be rid of problems parking on matchdays)

I told her George is going to introduce RPS to Southville regardless - to which she was singularly unimpressed (unsurprisingly). Apart from that there was little I could say to her.

(Well I suppose I could have argued the toss about whether you really need a car to get a job. Ideologically, I suppose I'd say either you don't or those are the sort of jobs we need to phase out. Clearly we are, as yet, a long  from a green nirvana).

Anyway, I have said that I can see reasons for doing residents parking. I've even been pushed into saying I support it with proviso's. But seeing this woman's look of desperation, this has to be one such proviso.

The question is, what can we do  about it.....I've already submitted a statement asking for lower prices for those on low incomes....because I for one am not in the business of penalising the poor

I can't see there being a quick fix, but if elected I will pledge to campaign for a version of RPS where costs for those on low incomes are reduced.

3 comments:

  1. Come on. This is so naïve (or do I mean stupid politicking?). If you can't heat your house, how can you afford a car? Nobody in a city needs a car to get a job. And no 'green' politician needs to be speaking up for anybody that thinks they do. Political opportunist rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People just don't see a car as the optional luxury it is. I know many people without cars, and none of them have a problem finding work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, some jobs do require cars - depends on what this person does for a living.

    ReplyDelete