Thursday 13 February 2014

Letter to the editor - cycling

This is a response to a letter from Tory councillor RIchard Eddy (link to original
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Reader-s-letter-Cyclists-behave-badly-Amsterdam/story-20602751-detail/story.html#ixzz2t2Y9h8vu)


Dear Sir

I note that Tory councillor Richard Eddy describes cyclists as 'afflicted with a sense of self-righteousness, superiority and entitlement' (the Post letters, 'Cyclists behave badly in Amsterdam as well', 11/2/14). I was surprised, because I thought the Tories had cornered the market in those particular attributes.

He further describes a friend whose visit to Amsterdam was a 'confusing mix of users ( tram lanes, buses, cars and bikes)'. Well, I can only recall my own experience of visiting Amsterdam. The trams were fun, the cycling pleasurable, the infrastructure good to see, the cyclists - there were lots of them. Overall I had a great time.

As far as I'm concerned, having an extensive cycle network in Bristol, combined with policies to maximise levels of cycling is exactly what Bristol needs to do. But more pertinently,  I would point out that we could introduce an entire cycle network for the whole of Bristol for less than the price of the a couple of the proposed bus rapid transit schemes - and to do so would have far greater benefits for the city as a whole.

Yours


Charlie Bolton
Green Party candidate
Southville

No comments:

Post a Comment