Friday 4 July 2014

Supporting development at St Catherines Place

Planning Application 13/05616/P

I have decided to support the above application (subject to adequate provision of affordable housing).
I do so for the following reasons

Helping the local trading streets

The application will support the local traders on East St in particular in two ways. Firstly, it will provide a significant extra population who it is to be hoped will make use of the local shopping available. Secondly, the redevelopment of St Catherines Place is likely to offer opportunities for events, such as farmers markets, which can attract additional footfall to support local shops.

Use of brown field site

This is a brownfield site, and as a Green, I have promoted brownfield development for many years. Furthermore, I recognise the need for new housing in the city, of different types.

Potential for use of public transport

The development is close to Bedminster station, and there is clear potential for use of the station to get to Bristol Temple Meads (and elsewhere). This could benefit the station as well, because it can help increase demand for trains. There is also a decent range of bus service from the area. I further note the provision of significant numbers of cycle parking stands. I wonder if there is the possibility of other measures to promote people to choose cycling as a means of travel.

Heating

I support the use of CHP as a sustainable heating system.

Affordable housing

I believe there is a need to maximise the amount of affordable housing  in the development. My support is contingent on this being achieved.

Scale

I don’t like the scale of the development, nor particularly the look of it. To be honest, I cannot remember a substantial development I do like the look of. However, my personal preferences have to be outweighed by the need for an adequate supply of homes for people in the city.

View

I am aware that this is a tall building with impacts from various views. But this has to be seen in the context of the existing (and ugly) DSS building. I am aware the developers have been at pains to try to demonstrate the minimal nature of this impact, but again, I think the importance of providing adequate numbers of homes outweighs objections for this reason.
I admit that the building will in no way impinge on my view (which is of a church hall).

Conclusion

Overall, I have increasingly come to the conclusion that those of us who own homes increasingly – and probably unwittingly – have ‘pulled up the drawbridge’ against those who do not.
House prices alone should tell us there is a clear demand for flats and houses way in excess of supply. And given the alternatives of ‘greenfield’ or ‘brownfield’ development, I have to choose ‘brownfield’.
I am aware that this brings further pressure on infrastructure, but ultimately, I think we have no choice but to try and meet the demand for extra housing.



Charlie Bolton
Councillor
Southville ward
Green Party

1 comment:

  1. Dear Charlie, I understand and am in sympathy with all of your points but urge you to do all in your power to press for a more inspirational design. The current design is mundane to the point of ugliness and in my experience this type of development does nothing to engender a sense of engagement. A good design does not need to be prohibitively expensive and would give the lift needed to kick start a revival of this area. An ugly building will not be a community asset. We need somewhere that will be a joy to experience. Would your children want to play here? Would your mother want to sit and pass the time of day here, Mine wouldn't
    Best wishes
    Howard Purse

    ReplyDelete