Monday 30 June 2014

Save Show of Strength from funding cuts


Arts funding – Show of Strength

As ward councillor for Southville, I urge the mayor to reconsider the proposal to cut the funding for ‘Show of Strength’.

I have lived in Southville for 24 years and in that time seen various incarnations of ‘Show of Strength’ at the Tobacco Factory, Hen and Chicken and elsewhere. In particular, more recently, I have seen ‘Show of Strength’ put on plays in the local shopping street. This is a win-win, in that it benefits the local economy thrice – traders benefit, the theatre company benefits, the community benefits. I have also seen plays which have a historical aspect, thereby bringing local history to the attention of the local community. I have further seen plays which are based on contributions from local residents – giving their memories of local traders.

‘Show of Strength’ preceded the Tobacco Factory by a number of years, contributing to the regeneration of the local area, and have continued to make a fantastic contribution in these innovative, accessible and collaborative ways.

Green Party colleagues advise me that the proposed cuts have not been scrutinised. I urge the council delay its decision until scrutiny has taken place, but, more to the point, to support this fantastic local enterprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment